Tuesday 31 December 2013

When One Door Closes, Another One Opens

A new year is dawning. An old year is setting. We're in the twilight of 2013 and 2014 and at a moment when we wonder what the new year has in store for us. It's when we reflect on what has been, we reminisce about the good times and try to forget the bad times. Father Time moves in one direction and one direction only. He is forever moving forward and taking us with him. No matter how hard we try, we cannot turn around and go back. We cannot change the things we did, the things we said, or the things we didn't say and do. Father Time simply does not let us. He continuously closes the door behind us and doesn't give us the key to get back in. However, he is always standing by ready to open the door to the future. He closes the door to the past and opens the door to the future. He reminds us to look ahead.

While we're looking ahead, we think of ways to make the future brighter. We make resolutions. Well, I gave up on making resolutions a long time ago. Instead, I give myself a list of things I want to do or make happen. I list them as wants; that way I don't feel as bad for not fulfilling them. After all, they were things I wanted to do than commitments.



My first want, is actually a goal. As many of you know, my passion is writing. Well, I have set myself a goal of writing 100,000 words by this time 2014. It seems like a lot, but if it's broken down, it's only about 274 words per day. Plus, doing NaNo in November and Camp NaNo in April and July will eat up a good 50,000 of those words (if I stay on par). So, 100,000 words is quite doable. And if I meet that goal before 2014 is over, I may raise it.



My second want is in the same vein as my first one. I want to devote as much time as I can working on my Pangaea Trilogy. Over the last few weeks, I've, sadly, neglected it. I am hoping to give it the attention it deserves in the coming year.



My third want is something I plan to put into action as soon as I can. Well, technically, this is a need rather than a want, but since this needs to be done soon, I'm including it here. I need to find myself a second part-time job; the one I have now isn't enough. But, there is a bigger reason...



For a long time, I have had a dream to live abroad for at least a year. Well, a few weeks ago, I made a decision to make that dream a reality. Before I am thirty, I want to live in Ireland for a year. My family, on both my maternal and paternal side, originated in Ireland, and I've always wanted to visit my ancestral home. Now, I'd like to live and work there for a year. My plan is to go some time in 2015, but first I need to save up as much of my money as I possibly can.



As 2013 draws to a close, remember that this year will soon be last year and in the past. It is time to let go of any ills, regrets and missed opportunities from 2013, and prepare to hold on tight to what will come in 2014. May your 2014 be all it can be.



There are some of my wants for 2014.



What are your wants and desires for the coming year?

No comments:

Post a Comment