Thursday 15 May 2014

Not Every Acorn Comes From a Tree; Some of Them are Born


It's been almost three months since I had to put my fur baby, Misty down. Over the last couple of weeks, my mom and I have both checked out the Toronto Humane Society (THS) website to see just who is waiting for adoption. (Despite my mom claiming there would be no more animals... heehee.) One happened to catch my eye. Yesterday, after a brief discussion, my mom and I drove down to the THS to see about adopting.

This is Acorn.


He was a stray born on Friday, August 16th, 2013 and was surrendered to the THS on Saturday, April 26th, 2014. On Tuesday, May 13th, 2014, he found his forever home.

The moment I met him, I fell in love. My mom and I had a look around at the other cats in need of forever homes, but my heart was set on Acorn. So, we filled out the application, went through the interview, and then went to officially meet him. The minute I gave his ears and chin a scratch, I knew he was the one.

We brought him home, and he investigated every nook and cranny he could. He very quickly found the living room window, as well as my bedroom one; they're his favourite places to perch. It took him a few minutes to realize that he could not get out onto the balcony. He seems okay with this, though.

It hasn't taken him long to claim the armchair by the window, and he has discovered that he is allowed on the beds. He was my wake-up call at 5:45 Wednesday morning, and my cuddle buddy while I had breakfast. Boy, does he like cuddles! I've never had a lap cat before, so this is going to be an adjustment, but an adjustment I am more than willing to make.

He's a big boy; he's about 2 feet from head to tail and weighs in at about 9.8 pounds. He has big feet, and he's a polydactyl, which means he has an extra toe. He has an extra toe on his two front paws. I very quickly fell in love with his paw just as I did him. He is very special.

A close up of his feet. His paws look like mittens. I love them!


When Lynn, the staff member who went through the adoption process with us, took him from his cage to the carrier, she looked at him and said: "You're going home, Acorn; no more cages for you." I hope he knows how true those words are. He may think I adopted him from the THS, but in reality, he's the one who did the adopting; he adopted me. He has found his forever home.

No comments:

Post a Comment